“Third time’s the charm” they say.
And now, don’t I know it.
I got this lovely lavender coloured Berocco Weenend yarn last spring. It was always meant to be a cardigan, and it tried really hard to become one.
The first time, it wanted to become a pretty lacy crochet cardigan. But the pattern was so inconsistent that the headache it caused was too much, so it never became more than a few sweater pieces.
The second time, struck by embarrassment of being torn apart already, it tried to become another pretty lacy crocheted cardigan. And it did!
But it didn’t fit. It was small, lumpy and misshapen. This time, not the patterns fault, but the maker’s.
Third time’s the charm. This time (and in it's final form) it is not lacy, because I learned that the cotton/acrylic yarn wasn’t showing the pattern well. It became the very simple, staple wardrobe piece that I hoped it would become.
I used the Draper Cardigan pattern from the book Knit to Flatter by Amy Herzog. Although it was a very basic stockinette stitch all the way through, I did learn a lot.
1. I learned that purl rows are not that bad like I always thought. In fact, by the end, I was purling nearly as quickly as knitting. Perhaps, every new knitter should make a giant project with a great big number of purl rows.
2. I learned to work on 2 sweater pieces at a time. for example, I put both front pieces on my circular needles to so I could make absolutely sure that they were the same length and to be sure I wouldn’t get devastatingly stuck after finishing one then not wanting to finish the other (I did this for the sleeves and the shawl neck pieces as well).
3. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like sewing pattern pieces together. But since I have being doing a lot of machine sewing lately, I decided to try doing that with my sweater pieces as well. I first basted it, then zigzag stitched over top, to make sure it all lay nice and flat and to make it nice and strong. It also came together a lot faster than usual, which is a major plus in my books.
Overall, I am pleased. I had a goal to finish it by the end of July. The knitting was all done on July 31, and it was all put together on August 1. So, I am going to call it a win.
And even if you think I failed my goal, I still got the pretty purple prize out of it.